Sunday, May 31, 2009

(Blog 10)When I saw my dialect

Since I am the only one who comes from zaozhuang city among SM3 students, I hardly got a chance to speak my dialect during the past six months, barring when I was phoning my family.
When I spoke mandarin, most of my friends thought I was from south of China at first; but actually, I came from Shandong province, northern part of China. It was because that I started speaking mandarin in Changsha city, Hunan province. When I was in high school, I seldom spoke mandarin except when I was required to read or answer. Now, what I seldom speak is my dialect.
One day, I saw a daily record from one of my classmates in xiaonei, which was entitled Tengzhou dialect quiz. It attracted me right now. I clicked to view the details and found it very interesting and funny. We all know that dialects in china are distinctive and some words in the dialects are very hard to write in mandarin. However, what I saw was the version written in mandarin. Sometimes, I had to read a sentence or phrase more than twice to transform the false dialect into the real dialect. The procedure was very funny. I recalled some unique and powerful dialect words. Then, I repeated the sentences or phrases with the pronunciation of my dialect in my heart. I recalled a lot of funny recollection and got much pleasure from the repeat. This kind of pleasure was indescribable as it can only be appreciated by individuals.
I think others students whose hometowns have their own dialects may have come across similar feeling with me. In my opinion, all dialects are great invents. Our own dialects can express our thoughts and emotional feelings.
Thanks god, I finished my last blog finally.

1 comment:

Phay said...

Thanks for sharing about your love for your dialect. It is a precious part of your heritage and reminds you of your roots. It is great that you appreciate it so much.

Here in Singapore, unfortunately, the Chinese dialects are dying out. Only the old folks speak it well. The youngsters don't know it at all.