Tuesday, January 20, 2009

my first week in CELC


Some feelings about my first week's bridging course
Times fly. It has been half a month now from the day I arrived in Singapore. As I am sparing no effort adapting this new environment, the bridging course has began for a whole week.
What impress me the most of this week is vocabulary, vocabulary, and vocabulary. No matter what the topic is, history or people, religion or culture. There's always be many strange unknown words waiting for me to analyse and remember. So the first day I wrote down 85 new words at my note book, the second day 96. Every nights I came back to my desk in my dormitory opening my note book, I really had a headache. And on the weekend when I try to check how many new words on earth had I got, I realized that the figure is 20……
But life in the first week was not always that gray. I found every tutor kind and helpful. At the first day Ms lim show us around the CELC and talks to us a lot. Then the next day Ms yasmin take us to SELF, where I amazingly found my fortune that interested me. For example, DVDs, novels just like HARRY POTER, magazines just like NATIONAL GEOGRAPHY, and many many helpful materials. The third day was an unforgettable day. Mr seto almost show us a whole Singapore including people, history, tradition, culture…… And he told us a lot in writing, the skills correct many mistakes which in China is considered good expression, which surprised me a lot…… Then on Thirsday, Ms Tan told us something about group work, and we tried to discuss some topics and express them in front of the classmates. It's a good way to improve my oral English. Well, Friday was the most special day. After mistaken the time in the morning, we bared the whole afternoon struggling to get what Mr K was talking about. Because of the holy lack in vocabulary on Science and the unexpectable accent he was carrying. We spend the whole afternoon confusing. Of course we got what Dr Tan said, for the picture he showed us was really really unforgettable, especially in my bad dreams……
Well, the first week, full of amazing and happy and painful and embarrassing harvest and problems…… Good luck for me....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.