Tuesday, April 14, 2009

7. Blog

Writing a simple piece of blog is an interesting process to me. Thanks to CELC and the Bridging Course, I was introduced to this kind of on-line free writing only several months ago when we were told that we needed to write ten blogs as assignments for the course. So I started.
The first thing I needed to do is to create an account. We did the registration part together with the help of our tutor. Though the instructions were clear, I still made a small mistake which actually led to an interesting consequence. There were two websites in the e-mail sent to each of us by the tutor and I clicked the wrong one. While other students were directly invited by the tutor to the SM3-Group2 to create their accounts in it, I created my own Google account first and was then invited by my tutor. Consequently I have two blogs in total: one for my assignments in SM3-Group2, and the other one for my own free blogging. I have not started my free blogging yet, and if I start it in the future I promise that free blogging will be much more interesting.

After I created my account, I started writing. The first blog I wrote contained a few sentences that told the viewers to ignore it. It was just a trial anyway. Another student even wrote a blank blog that made us really sweaty. A blog that only contained a few words certainly could not be one of my assignments. Therefore my first real blog was written. That blog is based on my true feelings towards our uncle in Eton Hall, who is a really nice and friendly person. Mr. Seto left some inspiring words as a comment on it. My second blog is about a famous movie that came out last summer whose name is “The Dark Knight”. As a Hollywood movie fan, I wrote it carefully and finished it with great satisfaction. Unfortunately nobody has left any comments on it. Maybe we have different tastes for movies.

Till now I have already written six blogs and this one is the seventh one. Though all of the six blogs were written as assignments, I wrote each of them carefully with joy. At least writing blogs is the only chance for us to write something that we are interested in without many constraints. Every time I sit in front of the computer and come up with the ideas immediately. Writing blogs make me know for the first time that there are so many things I can talk about on our life, study, society and so on. Though our tutors have told us to avoid political issues as much as possible, I wrote out of curiosity. That blog did not bring me any trouble despite that one of my friends wrote a whole blog to controvert my opinion. This kind of on-line debate is interesting to me.

How do I make comments on others’ blogs? In our group everyone’s blogs are interesting to read. I read some of them and comment on some of them. Sometimes I do make up words in order to reach the criterion of more than one hundred words for each comment, but it also provides me with a good chance to practice expressing myself. I have even entered other groups to read their blogs.

Sometimes you can run back over your blogs and learn something from them just like what I am doing now. I hope everyone can keep on writing blogs even after the Bridging Course. It is really an interesting and helpful practice.

No comments: