I have heard of the movie Schindler’s List long time ago. It commands very high reputation and makes significant contribution to movie industry. It is said that people who have watched it would be deeply impressed, including the president of America, Clinton. I feel so lucky to be given the chance to watch it this afternoon.
Though Schindler’s list describes a story within the period of the Second World War, it is not aimed to reveal the immense evil of Nazi. Instead, it is supposed to show and extol the elevated humanity in that special period and circumstance. Conducted in a monochrome way, the movie is closer to that time. The atmosphere, which is created by the black and white, is quite gloomy, and thus it has the aesthetic great power to touch your soul. The profound thought and extraordinary expressive power are beyond imagination. Among the countless classic scenes, a girl in red unexpectedly appears. In the scene of holocaust in Krakow, the red girl makes distinct visual contrast with the background. I originally took it for granted that the girl could survive and she was the hope of the next generation. However, the reality turns out that she dies and waits to be transported to the incinerator. Schindler, who witnesses all this, begins a fierce conflict in his heart. This is the conflict between justice and evil, humanity and cruelty. Finally, his sense of justice wins over the evil, and his humanity is evoked.
The director himself is a Jew, but what I have to point out is, instead of exposing the scar of war or deepening the trauma, he coped with the topic despite of nation hatred. Schindler’s transformation from a greedy merchant to a great savior gives a persuasive example that humanity cannot be defeated no matter how tough the situation is. I was impressed most when Schindler regrets his inability to save more people. It makes me almost shed to tears as he points to his gold medal, saying: This, two persons, at least one person… All of his properties are spent to rescue Jews, bribe Nazi commanders to acquire the privilege of “buying” Jew workers.
There goes a saying “If you kill one person, you are a murderer; if you kill thousands of persons, you are a hero”. But today, I want to refute this, by the words engraved on the ring that the Jews present to Schindler--- “Save one life, save the world”.
Saturday, May 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
This film is marvelous for the way in which it crafts its story without contrived, manipulative Hollywood-ish flourishes (often typical of other Spielberg films). The beautifully selected and composed musical score (including Itzhak Perlman's violin)is so haunting that I`m very moved each time I hear the first few bars of it. Yes, the film portrays humanity at its best and at its worst.
Post a Comment