Room 108 is my room in Eton Hall. To some extent, it is my first home in Singapore. However, our living condition shocked me a lot at the first few days: eight people cram the small room; there is no balcony and even no washroom in our room; only two rows of beds are arranged in the room. Nevertheless, it did not take long for me to get used to the condition.
Given that there are eight people in our room, it is inevitable to have some problems, and I am motivated to write this blog by one of those problems. Just now, I was doing some work for some reasons. The time was only a quarter past eleven in the evening. However, the lights in our room had already been shut off, and I am quite sure our room is the first to shut off lights in level 1, even the first among all the boys’ rooms. Suddenly, I was disrupted by one roommate. He asked me whether I would finish my work soon because he thought my desk lamp was too bright for him to fall asleep. I did not answer him directly, so he gets another dimmer desk lamp to me from another roommate, who was also reluctant. However, as soon as I turned on the lamp, I found that there was something wrong with it. I could see the light kept blinking. As a result, I had to put an end to my work though I had not finished it. In addition, they also sleep quite a lot in weekends during day time. Additionally, whenever they are going to sleep, they will turn off lights without any hesitates. Consequently, our room is always dark, and it can reach where one will feel depressed in that atmosphere for a long time.
I never talk to them about these things, and I think I will never talk these things to them. Compromise is a must to have a harmonious group life. However, sometimes they go too farther and I really get irritated. For example, this evening he just took that I should use a dimmer desk lamp when he is sleeping for granted, and get one for me without my permission. I wonder whether they have thought about others. In my opinion, they just get too much sleep, though whether it is easy to fall asleep has something to do with individual condition. As for myself, I won’t turn off lights if I am going to sleep not in the late evening. Hence, actually I never turn off the lights in room 108 for the reason of sleep. Anyway, I am not writing some words to reflect how noble I am. I only want to pour out my anger and share my experience with you.
I am writing this blog only with my laptop on.
1 comment:
I am very sad after reading your blog. To some extent, we both face this problem. Sometimes we even find it is hard to communicate with each other in one dorm. There are supposed to be a lot of solutions such as doing games or going out together. I claim making some close friends is indeed much tougher than before.
Post a Comment