Tuesday, May 12, 2009

9. The English novels that I have read

Most of us must have read quiet a lot of English novels since the first day of the bridging course. Some might even have started reading English novels when they were in China. I am neither good at English nor reading; as a result it is a little bit hard for me to finish those long classic novels. Nevertheless, reading enough English after class is still essential to me since the most important thing to do during the bridging course is to make progress in English. Furthermore, I have actually finished some simple novels and now I find reading an interesting process. I am going to talk something about the novels I have read.

I started with “The Solomon’s Mine” which is quite easy for me even during the first month. When I first came across this book I was quite happy that the SELF provided some easy books for beginners. This novel tells us a story about a man named Allen together with two other British gentlemen tried their best to find the King Solomon’s mysterious mine. They crossed a desert which nearly sent them to death. After that they helped the aborigines in a tribe which was supposed to guard the mine to start a war against the cruel king. They finally killed the bad king and helped the real king to reign. After undergoing all conceivable hardships, they finally successfully found the mine. The story has a happy ending.

After that I started reading stories about Sherlock Holmes. Those stories are quite interesting and I really had an enjoyable reading time during that period of time. I started with the “Sherlock Holmes short stories collection. After finishing a couple of short stories I found the famous long novel on Sherlock Holmes called “The Hound of Baskerville” and finished it in two weeks. It is one of the most interesting detective novels that I have ever read which contains a careful mystery solving process and a surprising ending. Now Sherlock Holmes is one of my favorite fiction heroes and I have a dream of adapting those interesting stories into movies.

The only novel I have ever bought in Singapore is “The Bourne Ultimatum”. I bought it because I really appreciate the three movies based on the Jason Bourne series. However, I find it a little bit disappointing since the story in the original novel is quite different from the story in the movies. It is hard for me to tell which is better now since I have not finished the book yet. The original novel is not easy to read since it contains something about the US government and the CIA. It is no doubt that the original novel has a more careful and complex story line, but it lacks the intense atmosphere and the fierce actions which are actually the basic elements that have made the three movies quite popular throughout the world.

I am still reading and I am going to buy more books in the future, especially those original novels that have been adapted into some of my favorite movies. Reading is an enjoyable and helpful process. In my opinion, most of us will not be likely to find the chance to read whatever we enjoying reading after we enter NUS and start doing our science or engineering courses. Why not make full use of the time now?

1 comment:

SHH said...

Glad you are picking up the reading habit when most of teenagers are watching movies or playing video games. It's a good habit to be in the company of great minds as you read their works. Bras Brasah Complex is a good place to buy cheap novels.

Seto