Friday, March 6, 2009

Local food in Xi'an






Local food in Xi’an
We Xi’an citizens often say that, “We have no willingness to leave this place.” That is true. Only few of us want to go outside. We love Xi’an, because it is beautiful; it is classical; it is a comfortable place to live in; at last but not least is its delicious food.
Xi’an has hundreds of kinds of local food. They are too many that even I have not tasted all of them. I heard that each of them is yummy. Some of them are my favorites. And I want to introduce three of them to you. They are the most famous specific local foods of Xi’an. They are cold steamed rice noodle, Rou Jia Mo and Yang Rou Pao Mo.
General noodles are made of wheat, but the cold steamed rice noodle is as its name, and it is made of rice. Although they are all called noodles, and taste different from each other obviously. From spring to fall we will choose the cool type. But in winter it is too cold to eat that kind so we will stir-fry the cold steamed rice noodle. When you eat it you will feel warmer. I prefer the cold one, and I deem it is tastier. The secret weapon of making it so delicious is the chilli oil. We pour the boiled oil onto the paprika. Then we will get the chilli oil. The functions of the oil are to make the food looks more inviting and tastes dainty at the same time. I have found some restaurants offer the so-called authentic cold steamed rice noodle and it tastes strange.
Rou Jia Mo is a good partner of the cold steamed rice noodle. We Xi’an citizens often order them at the same time. Someone translate it into English as “Chinese hamburger”. I am not satisfied with this title. Because I think Rou Jia Mo is much healthier than that fast food and also has a much longer history. The meat in it is pork, but you will never feel greasy because of the special way in which they cook the meat.
Using mutton and broth to stew some pieces of “zheng mo” is the main way to cook Yang Rou Pao Mo. The zheng mo is cut into small pieces by machines. But if you are free enough and want to experience the traditional food you can do that by your own hands. After you have done that you give it to waiter and the cook will stew it for you. Within few minutes you can have a enjoyable meal.
There are three Xi’an people in my dormitory. We talk about the food often. They are really attractive, and warm welcome for you to come to Xi’an to experience its beauty and delicious local food.

7 comments:

Hu Yang/Yogi said...

It leaves me a wonderful impression. Yes, China has its own culture for thousands of years, so does Chinese food. The picture also reminds me a lot of the food in my hometown because all the good-looking dishes seem so scrumptious. But it is rather pitiful for you cannot have it for a long time.

XuPengxuan (Pumbaa) said...

It is a long time since i ate Rou Jia Mo last time ... There is a very nice Rou Jia Mo stall near my home. The Rou Jia Mo there is very delicious.I ate there form primary school to university. What a fantastic thing it is if I have a chance to taste it again....

LiuMuli_Matthew said...

During the one and a half months when I was in Tongji University, it is a Xi'an-style restaurant that I went even more frequently to than to a northeastern restaurant! Most of foods you mentioned were truly scrumptious. I enjoyed them very much!

Maureen Tan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Maureen Tan said...

Yummy,yummy. You`ve given us a very vivid description of the three dishes. My favourite would be the cold noodles. I just love all sorts of noodles. I must visit your hometown one day!

Li Qinpei-Philip said...

I have heard of Rou Jia Mo and Yang Rou Pao Mo for quite a long time. But I did not know what exactly they are until I read your blog. At first, I thought that one kind of the breakfast in Eton hall, which was some kind of Steamed Bread(Man Tou) with meat inside, was Rou Jia Mo. Because one of my roommates called it as Rou Jia Mo several times.From your pictures, I would prefer to taste Yang Rou Pao Mo. Because I like lite food, and Yang Rou Pao Mo looks like that kind.

Li Shiyan said...

for no particular reason,i love Xi'an, love it so much, so deeply,even though i have only been there for less than 3 months. but unfortunately you haven't mentioned my favourite Xi'an food, Qi Shan Sao Zi Mian. maybe it is not local food, but i'm sure it is extremly famous in Xi'an. even now, i still feel very dramatical and incredible that i will love it this much, because i can remember how much i hate it the first i try and taste it. that is why i will always say that Xi'an is miracle.