Sunday, March 1, 2009

4.The Differences

The Differences
After coming to Singapore, we have been experiencing all kinds of differences based on cultural diversity. To me the most significant one is the difference between the universities in China and the ones here, especially the culture in them. Now I am going to list some of the differences that seem a little unacceptable to me.
NUS is one of the best universities in the world, but the students in it don’t really prove this. In China, all the good students in the top universities are more likely to dress and behave in a formal way while the students in bad universities always spend time in following the fashion and making themselves more good looking. Now just take a short walk in NUS, we are able to find a lot of students wearing fashionable hairstyles and attractive clothes. Slippers are commonly seen in lecture theaters. I have attended several ceremonies held by NUS and NTU, and every time I was a little surprised to find that most of the girls did a lot of make up. I admit that doing make up is an ordinary thing and it does make them more attractive, but the problem is in we Chinese’s opinion, how can those students focus on their study if they spend so much time on those meaningless things.
I can feel that even today people can easily tell that we are Chinese students because we just act in a different way. Singaporean students like to follow the fashion and they are likely to care about all kinds of useless things in their daily lives. In public, they try to be more mature and they sometimes even make the relationships among people complicated. This is not actually wrong but in my opinion, they have forgotten about their occupation as a student. They are still spending their parents’ money and they are still learning skills, people and the society. Simply trying to behave like a person who can totally depend on himself or herself doesn’t help those students at all, instead, it makes them look stupid. Because the truth is that most of them are weak inside and they are not aware of their responsibilities at all.
Once a professor told us that in NUS, most of the best students were the Indian students, Chinese students were also good and the local students would always perform the worst. This can easily be understood. But things are changing now because we Chinese students can be easily assimilated by the local university culture. Most of our seniors dress and behave much differently from us though they are only one-year older than us. If this keeps on happening, we Chinese students won’t have any advantages over the Singaporean students in the future.
I don’t know whether I’m conservative or not and this is just my opinion. What’s your opinion about it?

1 comment:

ShanYongli said...

At least in my opinion, you are a little cionservative. Actually,I agree with you.They are not paradoxical as I am also a little conservative.