Tuesday, April 7, 2009

problem?

Never before have had I felt the urge to speak a good language.
Wow, as most of you have heard the proverb before, “Do as Romans do when you are in Rome.” So when it comes to some official cases, we are supposed to speak fluent English as most of Singaporeans do. However, I find myself have been addicted to staying in the climate of Chinese when I came to Singapore. When I am among some locals, from time to time, their vague expressions of being impatient with my broken and plain English will penetrate my heart and send me into total silence.
Every man dislikes losing face in public places to some extent. To me, it seems more than the amount it should be. To avoid embarrassment, which is the perfect way? Keep silent and never demonstrate your stupid opinion in front of plenty of persons whom you are not so familiar with.
Yeah, it is a kind of so called vicious circle. The less you try to exhibit yourself, the more tenseness you will be burdened on when you are demanded to give a speech, and the more likely you are going to feel self abased and even come up with the idea to give up.
Yesterday, I was required to make a phone call to someone local. However, when picking up the phone, out of some unnamed reason, I felt so scared and my hands went shaking out of my control. After all, the only illusion occupied my brain was that he could speak good Mandarin.
As English has become the common language in the world, it is essential to have a good knowledge of it. But when I meet a Chinese friend, I just cannot help but to add a sentence to our dialogue, “Hao a?” maybe that’s our Chinese nature, running deep in our heart.

1 comment:

Li Qinpei-Philip said...

I quite agree with you. Albeit I would speak in English among ourselves sometimes, when it comes to a situation with some locals, I will not feel confident or even secure if I speak in English. As a result, we just take advantage of that Singaporeans can speak Mandarin.