Saturday, April 11, 2009

My terrible mistake

After that stupid action, I felt a little dizzy. I just pressed the shift button and the delete button together. After just few seconds, all the documents I have written on my laptop since I bought it disappeared.
Just five minutes before, I was in a joyful mood because that I had just watched a good movie and had nothing else to do before a sound sleep. So I decided to clean up the useless files on my hard disk. Accidently, I made an unforgiving mistake that I choose the wrong folder. I thought it was just a shortcut but actually it was the real files. The bad habit of directly deleting the files instead of putting them to the recycle bin also contributed to this crisis. I had hardcopies of the old documents, so maybe they do not matter; but all the homework which would be handed in next week were all deleted; those essays I didn’t have a hard copy. It was already twelve o’clock. Tomorrow morning I would need to hand in a journal. So what should I do? I felt that I fell from heaven to hell. I sat down and tried to recall what I wrote in that journal. Then I found I could not remember many statistics which I need to use in the journal. The internet had already been cut off at that time. So I just didn’t use them. After I finished the journal, it was already one o’clock in the evening.
I suddenly thought of an essay which I wrote several weeks ago. I wrote that files in the computer are much safer than the hardcopies. Because that the statistics in the computer can be easily copied to somewhere else. But hardcopies cannot be easily copied. The computer system can break down as well as the library can catch a fire. But the things happened today totally changed my thought. I found that how easily it is the files on the computer become destroyed.
Maybe I really should print the documents out next time.

1 comment:

Maureen Tan said...

What an experience! It must have been very frustrating for you to lose impt. documents. Well,we learn from our mistakes: our whole life is a learning process.