Sunday, February 8, 2009

2.Yichun food

As is known, every part of China has its own special products. The same goes to my hometown—Yichun, a small city in the western part of Jiangxi Province.
One of the special products of my hometown is preserved eggs. Maybe most people are warned of preserved eggs, because they contain lead. To tell you the truth, now preserved eggs don’t contain lead necessarily, at least the eggs in my hometown. The preserved eggs of the highest quality always have dark transparent albumen, which like jelly. And the surface of it is decorated with something like flowers. And that’s why preserved eggs are also called “song hua pi dan”. The yolk is different, as well. The finest eggs’ yolk can flow and is not solid. For their special flavor, not everyone likes them. They are usually the minor part of dishes.
Another special product is a kind of noodle named “zafen”. Maybe some people think they have seen it somewhere else, or even in Eton Hall. But it is unique and much more delicious. It often acts as a breakfast in my hometown. It can be either boiled or fried. Other ingredients can be pork, eggs, scallions, Chinese cabbages, peppers and so on.
There are many other special products in my hometown. I didn’t think that highly of them until I came here. One always starts to treasure something after he loses it.

8 comments:

Phay said...

Thanks for posting the pictures. The egg looks like a delicate work of art.
The noodles look delicious. Is it spicy? I think I see a lot of red chilli. Have you tried preparing it in Singapore? What sauce do you use when you fry the noodles?

Hu Yang/Yogi said...

Haha, that looks rather delicious.And the egg must be tasty.If you go home someday,don't forget to take us some of your mother's cooked eggs. We would be much appreciated if you take the effort to do it. As Ms Lim Phay Yen said, "the egg looks like a delicate work of art." So it does. No other egg can be like the artical work more than this one. But the "zafen" are somehow similar to that made in Eton Hall.

Li Qinpei-Philip said...

For Ms Lim,
I think it is possible to find that kind of eggs here in Singapore, though they are surely not so delicious or beautiful as the ones in my hometown. Besides, the fried noodles are spicy. But I think it is what makes the noodles more delicious. I think the main sauce is soy sauce. however, I feel so sorry that I don't know how to cook it... what a pity...

Li Qinpei-Philip said...

For Ms Lim,
I think it is possible to find that kind of eggs here in Singapore, though they are surely not so delicious or beautiful as the ones in my hometown. Besides, the fried noodles are spicy. But I think it is what makes the noodles more delicious. I think the main sauce is soy sauce. however, I feel so sorry that I don't know how to cook it... what a pity...

Li Qinpei-Philip said...

For Ms Lim,
I think it is possible to find that kind of eggs here in Singapore, though they are surely not so delicious or beautiful as the ones in my hometown. Besides, the fried noodles are spicy. But I think it is what makes the noodles more delicious. I think the main sauce is soy sauce. however, I feel so sorry that I don't know how to cook it... what a pity...

Li Qinpei-Philip said...

For Yogi,
I am afraid that the preserved eggs cannot be brought to Singapore. As for "zafen", it is much more delicious than the noodles in Eton Hall. I am sure.

NanXi said...

~I think the egg taste strange, but after eating it continually I think it is much better. And my mum likes the egg very much. People in my hometown prefer having the eggs with beer. The noodle likes ggod but I love the noodles in my hometown. It is quite interesting to write something about food, maybe I will continue this topic in my next blog

XuPengxuan (Pumbaa) said...

I have never eatten such beautiful preserved eggs. what i eat is only dark blue and no flower pattern on it. Is it because we do not use the yellow lead to make them, so the pattern disappear? Maybe all the beautiful things is poisonous....