Saturday, May 23, 2009

One way to be happy

Most people long to win whether victory is their goal or not. In formal competitions such as study and career, the desire of wining is necessary and helpful to encourage competitors. However, when we are relaxing and enjoying ourselves, longing to win usually drive us away from our purpose---relaxation and enjoyment. At least, according to my own experience, it is the truth.
For many times, I have tried to relax myself through computer games. However, most times, I do not feel happy or relaxed after playing computer games. Each time when I play computer games, I always choose harder mission to challenge myself. Usually, I will lose. Then, I try again and again. During this period of time, I am often unhappy. If I beat the computer, I will feel pleasure. However, I usually go on playing with the idea that one victory is coincidence. Then, I am engaged in an endless vicious cycle until I become very tired. In the end, I often feel regretful for having played computer games for such a long time, which is far away from my initial purpose.
This Wednesday, I played badminton for relaxation and pleasure. During the playing time, I was very happy and relaxed. I found that doing sports was a fantastic way to make myself thrilled.
When I compared computer games with sports, at first, I thought they were totally different as they brought me different feelings. Later, when I analyze the two situations, I found I was wrong and the disparities between computer games and sports were not the real reason why I had different feelings. When I was playing computer games, I always wanted to beat the challenging computer; when I was doing sports, another kind of game, my mind was blank barring happiness and relaxation. Therefore, it is the attention to victory or defeat that makes me happy or not. When I pay too much attention to victory or defeat, such as when I was playing computer games, I got annoyance instead of pleasure and relaxation; when I pay less or no attention to victory or defeat, such as when I was doing sports, I acquired what I wanted.
In conclusion, always longing to win even when you are relaxing yourself will drive you apart from your original purpose---relaxation and pleasure. Therefore, if you want reach your purpose when relaxing, you should pay less attention to victory or defeat.

1 comment:

Phay said...

It's good to be able to relax and not worry about winning or losing. I agree. If competition takes the pleasure away from an activity, then it is better to forget about competing and just simply enjoy it.