Tuesday, February 17, 2009

3.Don’t believe the truth

I don’t know if everybody has read that reading card which talks about Dalai Lama. In that article Dalai Lama is described as a freedom fighter who was persecuted by the Chinese government. Since it is something against we Chinese’s well-accepted notion that Dalai is a reactionary who has been trying to destroy the peace in China for a long time, many students criticize it and some even leave bad words on that reading card. If you ask me how I feel after reading it, the only thing I can say is “I don’t know”.

I can understand why the students overseas become so sensitive to those political comments and issues after leaving their country. Being away from our own country makes us more patriotic than before. This can somehow be a good thing, but in some situations it can also cause problems. Politics is one of the most sensitive parts in the world today and I’m just trying get away from it by not believing in anything.

In my opinion, All the news reports we can get in China only show one side of the event. Now we have read the reports on how the reactionaries in Tibet trying to separate Tibet from China by force, and of course we hate what they have done. But the part of history is something we can only get from the outside. Many books and articles published in foreign countries say that Dalai used to be a freedom fighter, and in the past the majority of people in Tibet actually wanted their sovereignty to be independent. The Chinese government has done a lot to deal with the territory problems with Taiwan and Tibet in order to make China a safer and more peaceful place. But do they care more about the safety of the country or the stability of their governance? I doubt about every word comes from the governors’ mouths.

Maybe now I need to clearly state that I love my own country. But being a patriot doesn’t necessarily mean that we need to believe in all what our government has said or we need to find out the truth of everything. Sometimes there is just no truth for us to believe in. Every day in every part of the world there are people hiding something in order to benefit their own business. And as students, we are just too young to challenge the power that controls most parts of the world. Why not just make our stand more neutral? Get a little information from every opinion and only in this way can you see things in a clearer way.

Then, still don’t believe in anything, even the “truth”.

3 comments:

Zhang Jingyi said...

I agree that “get a little information from every opinion and only in this way can you see things in a clearer way”. Because of some political reasons or something else, what we get from the media, from the government may not be totally true. But I think the purpose of our government is just to safeguard the people’s interests and the country’s honor. Our government is becoming cleaner and more powerful. I think we should have faith in them.

William said...

Our blogs become political at last, hehe, but I have no disagreement about that. What I want to tell you is to try to be more objective, but we all know there ain't entire objection in this world. So what should we do? We just ignore what should be ignored. We believe what we believe, and disbelieve what is to be disbelieved. We SHOULD get information from every point of view but should not lose our own faith.

NanXi said...

yes, I know there too many top-secret in our country. And I also think Europeen medias are more open. But they can not put some drity title on our chinese head. I feel we all cheated by medias sometimes. Yes there are fewer and fewer thing I can believe in.